1) It’s all brand new. Everything. Our songwriting process, the recording process, and even the music we’re creating doesn’t resemble the Pinto and the Bean we remember. As you know, we took a good six month break from making music, and the band almost fell apart; but somehow, that break really helped us bond in a new way as songwriters, band mates, and friends; it’s all a new dynamic now, and a brand new journey as a band.
2) It’s just plain fun to be recording a brand new song; it’s so new, we don’t even have finalized lyrics or a title for it yet. To give you an idea, it’s got some badass drumming and weird guitar tricks we haven’t used before as well as new keyboard sounds we’ve been experimenting with; we played this tune at our recent Empty Bottle gig and saw a bunch of people shakin’ their booties, so that’s a good sign.
3) We’re recording this song with a sound engineer/producer we’ve never worked with before, which will ultimately alter the overall outcome/sound/vibe of our music. Paul has recorded a catalog of solo music with Nick (the producer/engineer of our album ‘The Waiting Place’ and director of 3 of our music videos) for several years; while a lot of great recordings came from our experiences with him, it’s wonderful to move on and experience the recording process in a brand new way with a different perspective on things; it’s a whole new direction we haven’t gone in before.
4) We’re already halfway done with the recording of our new tune, which is pretty amazing. This process is going by at record speed, which is not something we’re used to. Not to say that getting things done so quickly is right or wrong, but different is always a good thing.
5) We’ll let you know as soon as it’s done of course. Make sure you’re signed up to our mailing list for that and you’ll be hearing from us soon.
|Julio, engineer/producer or our new song, in the P&B living room doing some mad mixing.|